Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I think I will blog----2nd half turned into a rant

DH is at a meeting, Christine is at Disney (surprise, surprise)
Around 1 or so today, I found out Rebekah will attend camp del corazon's Malibu camp. I applied for both with Malibu being the preference....
About 2hrs ago, Rebekah asked me if she was going to camp....Like a dummy I said "yes"
Well, I think she is about half way packed or at least has it planned. Its not til Memorial day weekend, and we havent received the to bring list....but she is on it already....(and giving me a headache).
She also asked why she wasn't going where Christine had previously gone. So, I told her it is a camp for those with different hearts like you (not wanting to use defect or problem, because she WILL dwell on that) so we went to the covepoint site and looked at a normal heart vs her heart.. http://http://www.pted.org/htms/transpositionl1.php

page 2 is better....not completely her heart but a good idea....(hers is also in the wrong place, dextrocardia,amoung other things)
she asked if they all had hearts in the wrong place, I said no, some might but most will not and then I mentioned the picnic that is held every year....and it dawned on her that her friends there ALL had a different heart...so we had to search for pictures of one local little boys heart...how it was when he was born vs how it is now, 3 surgeries later.
I will let you know in a few days how she processes that information :)
meanwhile she is still planning her packing....

Ok and my real reason for blogging :)

My thoughts on the whole concealed carry blah blah blah forget the term in California.
For those that know me real well, my family shoots. My DH, Christine, my FIL, my BIL, neices and nephews,my dad(I remember the gun on the living room floor during the LA Riots), My moms husband, list goes on and on. Ivan and Christine also do archery (That sounds odd....do archery....you would do bow hunting but not sure if you Do archery...whatever)
I Dont
no desire at all. Been with them once. Didnt shoot, enjoyed the company but, no desire what-so-ever.
Ivan has mentioned in the past a CCW, I Am opposed to HIM having one. I Would feel akward not to mention, he doesnt even wear things where concealment would even be possible....he rarely wears a jacket...never has a fanny pack or other purse like object....so where would he put it?
HOWEVER, should I ever be in a situation like what happened in VErmont, I would be damn glad for every single person who was carrying concealed. I Encourage those that can to do so. Or at least pretend you are.

Gun free zones don't work. Anyone notice those are where the shootings happen? Why? because the shooter knows he is safe and no one else has a gun! Law abiding gun owners dont commit these crimes. Because they like their guns and enjoy the sport(yes, sport...check the olympics). And committing these crimes could ruin all of that. Its the illegally obtained guns you need to worry about. And no amount of laws will change that....OH you think it will? because we have no drug problem here right? OF COURSE we dont, drugs are illegal. See my point?

ON a board DH posts on, there is a guy there who asked Vermont Tech to lift the gun ban for those with concealed permits, there is also a sheriff (?) who was predominantly featured in the video constantly shown on the tv, and the poor guy the internet convicted of the crime is also a member.

Oddly, this comes on the heals of reading Ted Nugents book.

If you read all of this, you must be bored
:)

5 comments:

Nancy Jensen said...

Rant away!

Ok, first of all, Jessica is just like Rebekah... if we say yes, we are going someplace in 2 months, she will pack a bag and make all her plans right away. She even starts planning and inviting people to her birthday party for the next year about a MONTH after her birthday. lol

Good luck with Rebekah understanding the different hearts concept. Jessica understands that much but not any of the anatomy - it's over her head.

As far as the gun-free zones... I hadn't really thought about it but you are right. You are the 2nd blogger who has mentioned it (that I have read) today.

I didn't quite follow what you were saying about the dude on the internet, the sheriff and a guy who the internet convicted... ???

lol - I'm tired. But hey, at least you posted and I read it, right?

DriedPapercutsAndChickens said...

Oh I was surely going somewhere with that.....maybe trying to say different perspectives on what happened....but I surely lost my train of thought between "can fluffy come" "Can fluffy bring extra clothes?" "How about nana, can she come?"
the cove point diagrams gave her a visual of the defect....I dont think she gets them but she was able to see the difference

Anonymous said...

Yaaay, a post that's longer than a two-second read.

Sounds like you had fun with Bekah while I was out hurting my feet and watching people get shoved into trashcans.

I don't really know why you're scared of guns, but eh... Shwatev.

Dad pretty much wears nothing to make concealed carry possible, really. He goes into some pretty strange peoples' homes sometimes though. If he could, I wouldn't really appose to it seeing as he is in new places all the time and never really knows when he'll get a crazy -- heh. Plus our cops do NOTHING! XD!!! How amazing.

Banning them does pretty much nothing except make problems worse as you said. But people don't think logically! We ban drugs but look what happens. Plus, we have a right as an American citizen to keep and bear arms. So, yay for us.

Ahhh, Ted. Heh.

Anonymous said...

I agree law abiding citizens don't commit these crimes. My friend Lisa said that no one would rob her house because her husband has a gun. I went to a mothers day dinner one time and the woman came to speak from victims of violent crimes. She said the problem with having a gun for protection is if someone broke into your house you had better have that gun cocked and ready for protection. She spoke about a woman that was about 80 years old and she said about the gun thing. The woman rose her hand and said but I have a gun in my home and it is loaded and ready. The woman that spoke said oh where is the gun? The old woman said its under my mattress. The woman that spoke said can you get to it easily? THe old woman said well no I do need some help. I about fell off my chair laughing thinking of this woman asking the would be robber to help her move her mattress so she could protect herself.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

I think if a teacher wants to carry a concealed weapon.. they should...

here in LV the Senate did not pass the bill to allow teachers guns...
I personally think that was a mistake... there are always punks taking weapons to school here..
it's a pit