Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Today

Today it has been 2 years since a dear friends daughter died. She was a beautiful, spirited little girl...so much like my own middle child also afflicted with a congenital heart defect that try and she might, she just couldn't overcome.
I met her dad, her mom and her before she was even born. I consider them dear friends who will certainly get a visit from me if I ever make it to England(better move now and leave no forwarding address, Dan). And her passing is prob one of the ones that affects me the most. I saved most of the emails received during her final stay in the hospital. And even re-reading them brings a tear to my eye. I wanted so much for this not to happen to my friend. I have seen it happen to many, I have attended funerals for some but none have ever hit me so hard. I remember my phone ringing in the very very early morning hours, bringing me the horrible news. I remember it like it was yesterday, not 2 yrs ago. I couldn't tell you what was said but, gosh do I remember it. Phone calls in the middle of the night never bring good news. I remember when our upstairs phone broke and I insisted on replacing it because you cant hear the other phone in our bedroom and I would never want to miss one of those calls.
I know my grief pales in comparision to her mum and dads. I just can't imagine what they feel. I would like to be able to say, that she obviously had a purpose here and without her I would have never have met her parents but, it is so hard to say...she was just an innocent and beautiful little girl.
I would insert a picture here but I don't know how.
I encourage anyone who might read my blog (I don't think their are many that don't already read Dan's)to visit Dans blog....it is at the side and is called "0ddness". Read his beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl and take a look at some of her photos.

I hate CHDs....but sadly they have brought me some of my dearest friends. Friends I am glad to have but I wish I had never met.

5 comments:

SUGGS FAMILY said...

Karin, I have to agree with you. Bethy's death, I think, hit me harder than most. Maybe it is because she passed on my birthday - Just like Bryce did today. Maybe it is because her dad writes such silly, spirited updates that you really feel like you know them. I don't know, but it sucks. I hate CHDs too but I don't really hate the person I have grown to become since we have come into this world. I just wish my son didn't have to go through all the crap he goes through.

becky

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Hello :-)

I have seen your on a few of the other blogs...
(and I've always wondered how you came up w/ the name...)

and I feel the same as you...
I hate CHD... but it has brought me to some of the most wonderful people in the world!

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

OMG.. I just saw little Lincoln Carter on your blog list...
they are friends of ours! They actually drove up to Stanford and saw us while we were at LPCH.

I'm so excited that he's doing so well....

DriedPapercutsAndChickens said...

not sure if you found the answer to the name
http://driedpapercutsandchickens.blogspot.com/2006/07/lets-see.html

DriedPapercutsAndChickens said...

hmm that broke up all funny. Try this
http://tinyurl.com/24c2z2