Saturday, February 03, 2007

Why can't they listen?

ok mostly SHE....why can't she listen.
This story actually begins, I believe wednesday night.....no wednesday morning at her therapists office. We discussed her bedtime and how she doesnt like to sleep and is proud of her non sleeping. She talked with Rebekah about it, gave suggestions blah blah blah....all pretty much what we had been doing with some success.....One new, good suggestion.....close the house down too....as it is time to go to bed for her, begin to turn off lights and lock doors....Ok far enough.

One suggestion stunk.....Rebekah generally settles down easier on nights her and Christine read a book together....(Rebekah listens, Christine reads). On nights when Rebekah does not settle down and does not go to bed after reading, Christine does not read to her the next night, she must earn her book for the next night. I mentioned how many times the reading settles rebekah down. The therapist thought maybe I should read to her on the nights Christine wont....well doesnt that defeat the purpose of Christine NOT reading?
Eh whatever.
Ok, so Wednesday night we put her to bed. We all settle down....and about 11pm I hear a thumping....I find Rebekah rolling up (Like a reverse summersault) and then rolling back down and KICKING the wall by her bed....now this is a common wall....on the other side is our neighbors bed room.....UGH....

She finally falls asleep.

Thursday night, we send her to bed as usual.....and as usual, she goofs off. In her goofing off, she breaks off a wood slat from the upper bunk.....wood slat falls on the floor....screw remains attached to the wood slat....and fallen wood slat exposes staples in bottom of the upper bunk.

All of this we are oblivious to.

About 15 minutes or so later (grand total of time so far since put in bed is less then 30 minutes)I hear a scream....I figure christine has forcibly put Rebekah in bed again or prevented her from leaving the room. I ignore it.

A minute or 2 passes....Christine appears to get the first aid kit. She says she cut her foot. No biggie, I think, she prob stepped on a car or caught her toenail on something....

Then I hear Nathan come down....he walks over taps Ivan on the shoulder and says "rebekah is Bleeding" So, Ivan goes upstairs, also expecting to find nothing because Rebekah loves drama.

TO his surprise he finds blood....lots of it....thru 2 bandaids....turns out Rebekah was standing on the edge of the bottom bunk, holding on to the top and swinging around. Then she dropped off and landed on the above mentioned slat.....
Of course it is now 10min passed the time Urgent care closes. So we call the advice nurse who decides she should have it examined....

So off to the ER.....where we spend the next 90min or so....they were rather quick that evening. It is deemed "almost stitch worthy". THey soak her foot in benadine, trim up the skin....it was a puncture and a tear....dress the wound....and send us on our way.....(we go back for a recheck monday)

We arrive home about 1245.....and Rebekah procedes to stay awake until 2am.

Had she have listened and gone to bed when we said go to bed.....at least I would have been asleep earlier....she might not have been but she certainly wouldnt have gotten hurt.

We have the slat on my desk....we keep referring to it as "her friend"

1 comment:

Nancy Jensen said...

My daughter isn't hearing impared... she's listening impared.

I have similar problems getting Jessica to stay in bed. Last night she got so overly tired I was up with her until 4am - she was crying and couldn't settle down.

Poor us!